Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Swaddle me or Swaddle me not


Most of Allison's early pictures she seems to always be swaddled. This is because she needs to be snuggled to sleep. Recently she has been on the hunt for her thumb. She has not quite figured out that she has to separate her thumb from her index finger. So, she spends her time sucking her fist and fingers trying, very diligently, to find that thumb.
Well, this has caused problems during the night with swaddling because her hands are at her side. By morning, she has pulled her hands out but from underneath the swaddle which I do not find safe. So, I have been working on weening her off the swaddling. Well, last night was the first night she slept without the safety of swaddling. Woo hoo. Now, I am hoping that she finds her thumb so we can stop playing the pacifier game. :)

Let's hope that she continues to sooth herself and that the swaddle is a thing of the past.

4 comments:

  1. This is a sweet picture. I hope she finds her thumb, it is nice to have something for comfort that is "handy". She does seem to love her blanket too, that makes Grandma happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If memory serves me correctly, Lindsey had this exact problem with Kendon. You could give her a call for ideas. Allie is sooooo sweet:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup...we started swaddling one arm in, one arm out, so Kendon had access to his thumb! We did that for a few months, then swaddled no arms, then no swaddle. For what it's worth. If she's doing fine w/o, don't sweat the transition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lindsey. She will nap in her bouncer or swing without being swaddles but when it comes to actually sleeping in her crib she just fights. I will leave the one arm out and see if that soothes her a bit. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete